Thank Galbi It's Friday Jjim
2-3 lbs bone-in thick-cut beef short ribs
2 T sake or mirin
4 T soy sauce
1 T brown sugar
8 cloves of garlic, minced
½ onion, roughly sliced
4 carrots, large chunks
1-2 lb. Korean radish or daikon, large chunks
6-12 shiitake mushrooms (soaked in hot water for 30 minutes if dried)
2 green onions, daintily chopped
½ t pepper
1 T sesame oil (optional)
- Soak ribs in cold water for at least 30 minutes, changing the water often (to get the blood out).
- Cover with fresh water in a pot or Dutch oven, then boil ribs 5-10 min.
- Drain the pot, take the ribs out, and wash them in cold water to remove fat and impurities. Put back into the pot.
- (Don't tell my mom, but you can skip the first 3 steps if you don't feel like it doing all that crap.)
- Add: 2 cups water, mirin, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and onion.
- Bring to boil, simmer ½ hour.
- After ½ hour, add carrot/radish/mushroom. Cover and simmer for AT LEAST 1 hour over low heat, stirring/basting/tasting occasionally.
- Meat is done when you can poke it with a chopstick with very little effort.
- Separate fat from the Good Stuff. You can use a gravy separator to do a decent job, or you can be hardcore (like my mom) and refrigerate the whole thing overnight, then scrape off the solidified fat. Discard, or feel free to make candles or what have you, you hippie.
- Garnish with green onions and fresh black pepper, and sesame oil IF YOU MUST (I think I've already mentioned my disdain for that flavor).