Hey Book Clubbers! Welcome to the discussion thread for "Please Look After Mom."
Please submit answers to any or all of the following discussion topics in a comment below:
- Initial impressions of the author's overall writing chops, style, theme.
- When Chi-hon asks Mom, "Did you like to cook?” how does Mom’s reply summarize the divide between her own and her daughter’s generations (p. 60)? How would YOU answer if your child asked you the same question?
- Out of all the major characters (Chi-hon, Hyong-chol, the younger sister with 3 children, Mom, Dad), who do you think was most responsible, if anyone, for Mom's disappearance?
- What are the details and cultural references that make this story particularly Korean? What elements make it universal?
- One of my favorite parts was the story of the bizarre friendship between Mom and Lee Eun-Gyu (p. 200-211). Were any mysteries solved with their story, or did it just enshroud Mom with even more layers of secrecy?
- Grade the book on an A-F scale
I will gather answers and post a summary in two weeks, resulting in our very first official Kimchi Mama group book review! So please make sure to at least grade the book!